There is so much to tell about the Tuareg Rally, it is difficult to condense the stories down to a few lines, so instead, here is my story for part of my favourite day.
Day 3 started next to a desert lake, an unlikely spot. With less than 5 minutes to my start time, a friend noted I had lost my radiator cap; I obviously had not put it on correctly during my routine checks the night before. Day 3 is a lovely day, rocky, twisty tracks, fast pistes and sand dunes; and here I was just about to start the first special with a problem. Initially I tried forcing the cap off a water bottle in to the radiator, but it was just a little too big. I rummaged through my bum bag for inspiration and found a small square of condensed foam. It amused me that it is always that odd items no one else dreams of carrying that come in so useful. My start time arrived, and I was still working on the bike. I pushed the bike across the line, and carried on working. Black tape was used to keep the foam in place. Then a quick SMS to Phil, Team Brown’s service, van driver and everything useful person, to let him know I was in need of a radiator cap. I then started, however 10km later the black tape had come unstuck through the heat of the radiator and water was splashing out. 
I stopped, and for a few minutes considered abandoning the day. I rolled the roadbook forward and realised that the next 30km were the tracks I had particularly enjoyed last year. I reanalysed my bodge. The foam worked well, it was the black tape that failed to stick. Zip ties, the solution to many problems. Quickly, I topped up the radiator, stuffed the foam back in, black tape on top, then I zip tied the tape on. I was back on my way. I stopped a couple of more times to check all was ok, which it was. Once on the piste heading for the Table Mountain, I opened up the bike. It was time to go up a gear, and I started to overtake some of the back markers. 
At the check at Table Mountain, I casually asked if anyone had a spare radiator cap. Almost a daft question, but then if you don’t ask, then you never know. Naturally the answer was negative. Although my bodge was working, I knew the radiator would not pressurize, and that once I hit the sand dunes, progress would be slow with regular stops for topping up the radiator.
I was just about to leave the check, when my ORGA now friend for life offered me the radiator cap off his own bike. He didn’t have to offer, but his action reflects on the kindness and caring attitude of the organisation. This is what makes the Tuareg Rally such a special event.
Quickly, I took apart my bodge, and swapped my foam for a genuine KTM radiator cap. It was like Christmas, I was extremely happy, both because of the generosity, and because I could ride without worry of water loss.
I usually ride well within my comfort zone, always with plenty of spare capacity. I was now riding on a high, top gear, and all working well. The track, named the Bob Track, is full of bends and rises. It is a great track, and for a while I enjoyed jumping the rises, and bouncing off the berms, until I hit a rock as I took off, and I was acutely aware of my back wheel, coming around to my side. I landed perfectly, but decided to drop the pace a bit, I had had my luck for the day, I couldn’t expect anymore.
The dunes near Risani were easier this year, no problems encountered, and I was soon at the service point, where true to form, Phil had sourced a radiator cap. I knew if anyone would manage it, he would. I think he was a little disappointed that now I didn’t actually need it, but I had been extremely fortunate.